Toblerone… my husband’s favourite chocolate. It also happens to be on my list of favourite chocolates, but for a different reason – frozen chocolate mousse!
Somehow, this milk chocolate gets transformed into a delicious, irresistible treat with the addition of cream cheese and freezing temperatures.
My eldest daughter had requested this to be her birthday cake in the past so I knew she would jump at the chance to make a pan for a dinner party we were invited to attend.
She diligently and carefully chopped up the Toblerone without sneaking too many pieces, mixed the Oreo crust, even though she peels hers off to give to her sister, and used the mixer, in spite of being nervous to turn it on.
She managed to get most of the batter into the pan before succumbing to licking the beaters, bowl and spatula.
And she was very proud to announce to our hosts that she had been the chef that had made the well-received dessert. I think she was pretty pleased that everyone had second helpings, even if it meant there wouldn’t be any left-overs for her later.
I have also used whatever chocolate I have on hand when making this. I find that milk chocolate, with or without nuts, is my favourite. But if you like dark chocolate it would work well, too. It can be a different experiment every time!
Let me know how it turns out for you and what chocolate is your favourite.
- 1 cup oreo crumbs
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 200g milk chocolate***, divided
- 2 pkg. (250g each) cream cheese, softened
- ½ can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup pre-whipped whipped cream or whipped topping
- Mix oreo crumbs with melted butter, press firmly onto bottom of 8” x 8” foil-lined pan. (9” x 13” pan if doubling recipe.)
- Melt 150g of chocolate in microwave. (1 min or until melted) Don’t over heat as the chocolate will “burn” and become lumpy and difficult to work with.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth and creamy. (You could do this by hand, if you have the stamina!) Add sweetened condensed milk and melted chocolate and mix until smooth.
- Stir in whipped cream by hand. Spread evenly over crust. Sprinkle chopped (50g) chocolate on top, cover & freeze a minimum of 6 hours.
- Remove from freezer and stand at room temperature for ½ hour before slicing & serving.
- ***Substitute: 4 + 1 squares of semi-sweet chocolate or 200 g of any milk chocolate.
- Doubles well.